Collins Mission and Beliefs
A description of Collins School and our beliefs
Collins School is a community of students, staff and parents, who work together to support students in their quest for learning.
The following ideas reflect our beliefs:
- Staff accepts and respects all children.
- Staff promotes and models the enjoyment of life-long learning.
- Staff knows that children can be motivated to learn to their potential.
- Children need a consistent learning environment; routines and limits provide a sense of security.
- We believe professional educators should make decisions regarding curriculum, instruction, and evaluation based on verifiable research and effective practice.
- We believe a collaborative community of professional educators and support staff is a vital component in the continuing process of improving the quality of life and learning for students and adults within our schools.
- All children are special and want to succeed.
- Children should develop personal responsibility for themselves and their community.
- Self-discipline is necessary for academic learning.
- Students respect others.
- Older students provide positive models for younger students.
- All children need a consistent learning environment. Routines and limits provide a sense of security.
- Parents promote the enjoyment of life-long learning.
- We believe that parents are partners with educators in the education of each child.
- Building character and understanding of the diverse nature of our world is the responsibility of parents, schools and the community.
TECHNOLOGY: INTERNET/CONTINUE TO BUILD CAPACITY
E-mail for staff use. Develop a school and Parent Teacher Association (PTA) web site. Extend research capabilities and communication possibilities for students through use of the Internet. Emphasize student use of technology as a learning and communication tool.
CONTINUE LITERACY EMPHASIS AT ALL GRADE LEVELS
Use the Great Source materials consistently at all grade levels. Use the new District Language Standards. Grade Level Guides to organize and assess student learning. Staff will participate in training in the areas of Units of Study, Writers' Workshop, Integrated Phonics (K-2 teachers who are new to this). All staff continue to use the Writing Process and Daily Oral Language as they fit with the new English materials.
FOCUS ON STANDARDS AND ASSESSMENT
Ensure that all students and parents understand the standards and are aware of progress toward grade level mastery. Use multiple measures to assess students' progress toward mastery of grade level standards. Tie curriculum organization and curriculum maps into the standards.
BUILD A CARING, RESPONSIBLE STUDENT COMMUNITY
Work with the PTA, School Site Council and community to reach out to our diverse student and parent community. Work with PTA, students and staff to build multi-cultural awareness and appreciation. Utilize literature and the instructional program to foster understanding and positive attitudes. Continue to support positive classroom management and train new teachers.