Absences Due to Family Travel and Vacations
The District does not support the practice of taking trips/vacations on school days. Absences due to family trips are unexcused unless the absence is pre-arranged and a short-term independent study contract has been approved by the school principal.
Short-Term Independent Study During Travel
Parents may request a Short-Term Independent Study provided the student will return to school at least five (5) days prior to the last day of school. Such absences are unexcused unless it is prearranged and a short-term independent study contract has been approved by the school principal. Requests for Short-Term Independent Study will be evaluated by the school principal on a case-by-case basis after consideration of the criteria set forth below:
- Requests must be made at least ten (10) school days in advance of the planned absence
- Student must be in attendance at their assigned school for at least three (3) weeks prior to the commencement of the independent study
- Absences for this purpose must be for a minimum of five (5) school days and a maximum of ten (10) school days per school year and shall not occur during the Spring assessment period
- The student has not been declared habitually truant, receiving five (5) unexcused absences of 30 minutes or more in a school year
- The student possesses the necessary motivation, commitment, organizational skills, and academic skills to complete the work assigned
Regnart does not approve Short-Term Independent Study for students in Grades 3, 4, and 5 during the state assessment window which normally goes from March thru May of each year. Student assignments under short-term independent study contracts are due on the first school day immediately following the student's return to school.
Report of Absence Form and Short-Term Independent Study Request Procedures
- A Report of Absence form should be filled out by the parent/guardian for any planned student absences. The school will work with parents to determine if the planned student absence is considered an excused or unexcused absence. Report of Absence forms are available in all school offices.
- The Report of Absence form will be filed in the student’s cumulative file.
- At least ten (10) school days prior to the start of the absence, the parent/guardian may request a short-term independent study in the school site office by completing their portion of the Short-Term Independent Study Agreement. Short-Term Independent Study Agreements are available in all school offices.
- The secretary will inform the parent/guardian that the principal will review the request for a short-term independent study and has the right to deny this request. The parent will be notified within 48 hours only if the short-term independent study is denied.
- Once the principal has reviewed the Short-Term Independent Study Agreement and signed the approval, it will be given to the classroom teacher for a signature.
- The signed and completed independent study will be available to be picked up the last day of school before the absence is to begin.
- If the student is absent on the last day of school before the contract begins (whether excused or unexcused) the work will be available to be picked up for the student in the office between lunch and the end of the day. Work will not be faxed or sent to the student; it must be picked up in person by the parent/guardian.
- Independent Study work must be turned in on the day the student returns to school in order to be graded and calculated for attendance purposes.
- Report card grades may be affected due to incomplete Independent Study work.