Gifting Securities to MPTO
Gifts of appreciated, marketable securities, such as stocks, bonds, and mutual fund shares, can provide donors considerable tax advantages. It is almost always a better tax strategy to give appreciated securities directly rather than selling them and contributing the proceeds of the sale to MPTO.
Please consult your tax advisor, but, in general, if you have owned the security for at least one year:
- You can receive a tax deduction for the full value of the security, not just the amount you paid for it, at the time of donation.
- You can avoid paying capital gains tax, which is attractive for many because capital gains taxes and income tax rates increased in 2013.
- You do not have to pay a commission to sell the security.
MPTO is fortunate that 100% of your gifted securities will go directly to MPTO with no fees! Thank you to Scott Stauffer, MPTO's Securities Coordinator, for making this possible for us.
If you hold the securities in brokerage account, follow these steps:
- Review the Instructions to Broker for Gifting Securities to MPTO.
- Fill in the appropriate information regarding the shares you wish to gift.
- Check with your broker to see if they require a signature guarantee or any additional information.
- Provide the letter to your broker.
- Mail a copy of the letter to the MPTO Treasurer so that we may track your gift:
Montclaire Parent Teacher Organization Treasurer
P.O. Box 3266
Los Altos, CA 94024-0266
MUTUAL FUND SHARES
If you would like to gift mutual fund shares to MPTO, please contact MPTO’s Securities Coordinator, Scott Stauffer, email@example.com. Mutual fund gifts require special handling and set up and can take 7-10 business days to complete.
If you hold the securities in individual certificates, please contact MPTO’s Securities Coordinator, Scott Stauffer, firstname.lastname@example.org, to receive the appropriate stock power forms and to arrange for delivery of the certificates.
The date of your gift will be the date we receive your securities in our account, not the date of your letter. We will send you a gift acknowledgment notifying you of this date.
Thank you for your gift of securities to MPTO!