School Norms and Procedures
Sedgwick Elementary School
School Norms and Procedures
General courtesy and respect for others both inside and outside the classroom is the primary expectation for behavior at Sedgwick School. All students should come to school prepared to listen and work cooperatively with others.
- Stay within the limits of the school grounds during school hours. Students may only leave campus after being signed out in the office by an adult listed on their emergency card.
- All knives or potentially dangerous weapons, including toy weapons, are absolutely not allowed and will result in suspension and/or possible expulsion.
- Tobacco, alcohol, drugs and illegal substances of any kind are absolutely not allowed and possession or use will result in suspension and/or possible expulsion.
- Physical, mental or emotional harassment will not be tolerated and can result in suspension and/or possible expulsion.
- Any form of swearing or obscene language (written or spoken), or any form of sexual harassment will not be tolerated and can result in suspension.
- Vandalism of any form can result in suspension, and collection for damages will be pursued.
- Skateboards, roller blades, scooters, all electronic devices, radios, Walkmen, CD players, pagers, cell phones, toys, water guns, trading cards, baseball bats, and hardballs are not allowed at school.
- Do not play in the restrooms. Do not swing from the bathroom doors or misuse paper, sinks, or toilets.
- Gum is not allowed.
- Spitting is not allowed.
- All visitors on campus must have a pass. If a student sees an unfamiliar adult on campus without a visitor badge, they are to tell a staff member immediately.
1. All shoes must be secured to feet and appropriate for physical education and recess play.
2. Wear tops that cover your stomach and have at least two inch wide shoulder straps.
3. Shirts may not display violence, put-downs, messages promoting illegal or restricted substances
(beer, alcohol, drugs), or sexually explicit material.
4. Shorts and skirts must be longer than the tips of your fingers when standing with your arms at your
5. Chains, hanging belts, or sagging pants are not allowed.
6. Hats may not be worn inside the school buildings.
7. Makeup is not allowed.
Arrival and Departure Norms
1. Arrive at school no earlier than 8:45 am. There is no adult supervision prior to 8:45 am.
2. You are responsible for getting to class on time. Students arriving in class after the 9:00 am bell are
3. Students must be picked up or walk home as soon as they are dismissed from school.
4. Primary students may not wait on campus for intermediate students to be released from class due to
no adult supervision. Arrangements must be made to pick up primary students at dismissal.
5. Walk your bike from the school entrance to the bike rack.
6. First and second grade students who ride their bike to and from school must be accompanied by an
1. Primary students stay on the front part of the lawn at all times. Upper grade students may use the
back portion of the lawn during the morning recess only. No one is permitted past the red box at
2. Do not play in the bushes or the tree area by Big Blue.
3. Walk on the black top.
4. No teasing, tickling, or pulling children off of equipment.
5. No throwing of objects such as rocks, sand, sticks, tanbark, or anything other than balls.
6. Balls are to be kicked on the grass area only. Do not kick red rubber balls. Red rubber balls are the
only type of balls used on the ball walls.
7. No tennis balls or footballs.
8. When the bell rings play is over, games stop and students take a knee. When whistle is blown,
students walk directly to class.
9. No locking or excluding others out of games. Everyone gets a chance to play.
10. Be fair to others...when waiting in line, take your turn, do not give cuts, do not trade positions.
11. The winner of a game may not pick who plays next, the next person in line becomes the next player.
12. No tripping, pushing, tackling, or piling up of players.
13. No tag or chase games.
14. No games of 'Three Flies Up'
15. In order for a student to bring appropriate playground equipment from home, they must fill out a
Ball Contract. All school rules will be followed and no one may be locked out of a game.
1. Food is to remain at the tables. Eating is not allowed on the playground or field.
2. Walk with your class and teacher to the lunch tables.
3. Sit at your assigned table.
4. Be responsible and take pride in keeping the school grounds clean. Put trash in the designated
5. Remain seated until a noon supervisor has excused you.