Safe Driving Practices
DROP OFF PRACTICES
- The parking lot is reserved for Staff and Visitor Parking and bus access.
- Visitors may park in designated parking spaces, avoiding the red zones and the bus lane.
- Drop children off in designated curb areas on Helena Ave or Bernardo Ave.
- When dropping off children, have them prepared and ready to go.
- Do not stop mid-block to drop off children. This practice promotes illegal street crossing behavior.
SAFE DRIVING PRACTICES:
- Follow all traffic laws.
- Slow down within 500 to 1000 feet of a school.
- The speed limit is 25 miles per hour (mph) unless otherwise posted; some school zones have speed limits as low as 15 (mph).
- U-Turns without appropriate clearance are illegal.
- Be cautious of children who may dart into the street.
- Stop for pedestrians.
- Stop for school buses with red flashing lights.
- Keep your eyes focused on the road.
- Keep your hands on the wheel.
- If you need to attend to a child, pull over and park in a safe location.
Safe Routes to School
CMS SAFE ROUTES:
CMS participates in the Safe Routes to School initiative in connection with CUSD and the cities of Sunnyvale, Cupertino, and Los Altos working to ensure our students are traveling to and from school safely.
Safe Routes to School is an international movement to make it safe, convenient and fun for children and families to choose healthier, active, and sustainable school commutes. The goal of Safe Routes to School is to get more children bicycling and walking to schools every day. This improves community and personal health, benefits the environment, increases safety, and decreases traffic congestion around schools. school in the healthiest way possible.
Even if you have to get to school by car, there are still options for you to help reduce congestion and make your commute less stressful.
If you would like to receive email information about meetings and activities related to Safe Routes to School, please fill out the form below. We will do our best to notify you of upcoming calendared Safe Routes events in the surrounding cities (Cupertino, Los Altos, and Sunnyvale). Email Notifications
Visit the CUSD district Safe Routes page for more information.