CUSD 6-8 NGSS Pilot: STEMscopes
The 6th-8th grade science teachers have been piloting STEMScopes this fall as we have restarted our pilot process to adopt an NGSS designed curriculum. Previously we have also piloted Amplify Science and McGraw Hill Inspire. The current pilot will be evaluated in late October, 2021. Please take a moment to review some of the resources below. We would love to receive your feedback before October 20th, if you would like it to be considered during our evaluation process.
- Introduction to STEMscopes video
- STEMscopes Parent Resources video
- STEMscopes Science website
Parent Feedback Survey (please complete by 10/20/21)
CUSD K-5 NGSS Adoption: Elevate by Savvas
We are pleased to announce that on May 7, 2020 the CUSD board adopted Elevate Science as the new NGSS curriculum for K-5th grades. Click here for a program overview.
How is NGSS Different?
Students take a more active role
- Making sense of phenomena
- Finding solutions to problems
NGSS is built around three dimensions of learning
Seven Key Conceptual Shifts
- K-12 science education should reflect the interconnected nature of science as it is practiced and experienced in the real world.
- The next generation science standards are student performance expectations – NOT curriculum.
- The science concepts in the NGSS build coherently from K–12.
- The NGSS focus on deeper understanding of content as well as application of content.
- Science and engineering are integrated in the NGSS, from K–12.
- The NGSS are designed to prepare students for college, career, and citizenship.
- The NGSS and Common Core State Standards (English Language Arts and Mathematics) are aligned.
- California Science Test (CAST)
- SCCOE NGSS resources
- Next Generation Science Standards
- NGSS for California Public Schools, K-12
- Phenomena videos for NGSS
- Exploratorium’s Science Snacks (exploring natural phenomena)
- New Classroom Videos Demonstrating Transitions to NGSS
- Teaching NGSS Engineering Design through Media
- Developing Assessments for NGSS
- CSTA NGSS Site
- NGSS @ NSTA
- Concord Consortium:Finding Path through NGSS
- NGSS @ NSTA Matrix of Science and Engineering Practices
- NGSS Classroom Sample Assessment Tasks
Additional Resources and Supports:
- NASA Resources: STEM Classroom Combos
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Project-Based Science
- PG&E Energy Education Series: Water, Energy, and the Environment
- Discovery Ed/3M Science of Everyday Life: Lesson Plans
- Gardening: Agriculture in the Classroom Lessons
- Computer Science in Science Project Guts (Growing Up Thinking Scientifically)
- Engineering is Everywhere: Middle School Units
- Try Engineering: Resources & Lessons
- Caine’s Arcade: Global Cardboard Challenge