Absences and late arrivals must be reported each day by calling the Montclaire Absence Reporting Line at (650) 967-9388 ext. 6 by 8:30am. This is a 24-hour mailbox so please feel free to call any time day or night to report the absence or delay.
Excused absences are those related to: illness or injury (if accompanied by a medical note), quarantine, funerals or medical/dental appointments (must bring medical/dental note when arriving to school late). All other absences are defined by the State as unexcused. This includes family travel and vacations.
Delay, Tardy, Truant and Illness
Delay - Students arriving after the 8:30am bell but before 9am are considered Delayed.
Tardy - Students arriving after 9:00am are considered Tardy.
Truant - Student absent from school for for the day for an unexcused reason such as family travel and vacations.
Illness - Students can only miss 7 days during the school year due to illnesses not verified by a medical professional.
NOTE: If a student arrives at school late from a medical/dental appointment, a doctor’s note is required for the missed time to be considered excused.
Each month attendance letters are mailed home when thresholds are met.
Late Letters - Delayed Arrival - after 8:30am but before 9:00am
- 5 delays in a school year will result in a Late Letter
- 8 delays in a school year will result in a second Late Letter and a meeting with the principal
- 12 delays in a school year will result in a School Attendance Review Board (S.A.R.B.) meeting
Tardy/Truant Letters - Arrivals after 9:00am and/or Unexcused Absences
- 3 tardies or unexcused absences in a school year will result in a Truancy Letter
- 5 tardies or unexcused absences in a school year will result in a second Truancy Letter and a meeting with the Principal
- 6 tardies or unexcused absences in a school year will result in a School Attendance Review Board (S.A.R.B.) meeting.
Illness letters - Exceeds 7 Illness Days in a School Year
- 7 non-verified illness days in a school year will result in an Illness Letter
Students can accumulate up to 6 non-verified illness days in a school year. Upon reaching 7 illness days, a letter is sent home notifying parents that any additional absences during the school year due to illness must be verified by your student’s healthcare provider. Therefore, if your student is sick during the school year and visits a doctor, please bring in a doctor’s note. Those days will not be counted towards the 7 days.