- What Guides Teaching and Learning in CUSD
- Our Focus
- Our Commitment and Promise
- Our Beliefs
- Portrait of a CUSD Learner
Relevant & Rigorous Instruction
Foundations for Success: Students learn and apply foundational skills within and across multiple content areas to support deeper learning and reach mastery.
Habits of Mind and Leadership: Students seek out challenges and are provided with leadership opportunities. Students come to embrace failure/setbacks and utilize these as opportunities to grow. Tiers of support are in place to support each child's academic and social-emotional journey.
Critical Thinking & Communication: Students practice thinking critically, communicating and collaborating to identify, research, analyze and design solutions for complex problems.
Student Ownership of Learning: Student voice is valued and learners are supported and empowered to pursue passions, and improved by setting goals, seeking out mentors, providing input on learning objectives, and reflecting on learning to identify next steps.
Flexible Pace and Pathways: Each learner is unique. Instruction is adapted to meet learning needs and styles to ensure each child makes learner-driven choices, is on their "edge" and builds intrinsic motivation.
Data-Driven Planning and Instruction: Teaching is responsive to student needs, drawing from assessments which include competency-based tools, self-reflection, and feedback.
All Around Wellness: Programs and practices are designed to help students thrive socially, emotionally, psychologically, intellectually, and in physical fitness. Students learn to be self-aware and seek balance as healthy, joyful learners.
Creativity: Learners experience broad student-driven opportunities including designing and tinkering to learn, enjoy and practice creativity, expression and the arts.
Connections to School Community: Each child is known, connected and included in a network of caring adults, peers and community. Students learn to be compassionate, kind friends and citizens who value the diversity of our community and world.
- We will prepare students for future success - in high school, college, career, and in life - in this rapidly changing world
- We will provide personalized and challenging learning experiences, designed to help each child stretch towards their "just right" next learning step
- We will develop the whole child - social, emotional, intellectual, mental and physical well-being
- We will support student success and family engagement by building partnerships with parents and community organizations
- Provide Meaningful, Creative, and Innovative Curriculum and Instruction that supports student engagement and deepen student learning experiences
- Design Dynamic Learning Environments to meet the needs of all students while challenging each to develop existing skills, interests and understandings, as well as building new ones
- Attract, retain and support high quality staff who are seen as leaders and learners empowered to inspire our students
- Engage Family and Community as partners to actively support and improve the academic achievement, social and behavioral development, and health of our students
- Ensure District Communication systems are in place in order to connect our schools to our families and community, celebrate the successes of our students, staff and alumni while attracting and welcoming new families to the District
- Develop and maintain a District culture and infrastructure that ensures fiscal responsibility and places highest value on student learning
- Students will be provided and engage in learning experiences that are relevant and rigorous, personalized, and focused on the development of the whole child
- All children will progress, learn and thrive when provided engaging learning experiences and environments
- One size does not fit all - students learn at different paces and in different ways
- Academics are a portion of what matters to a child's success in school and in life
- When families, communities and schools work together, students are more successful and the entire community benefits
- Takes ownership of their learning
- Is a deep, critical thinker, a strong communicator, a collaborator, and a creative, civic minded problem solver
- Exhibit innovation and seek out challenges while working in collaborative teams to deepen understanding and solve complex problems
- A self-directed student who is intrinsically-motivated, curious, confident, and inspired, often considering the greater good, and working toward common goals and community benefit
- Is a joyous, engaged learner for a lifetime