Student Data Privacy
Maintaining student privacy is taken very seriously and each one of us plays a role in protecting personally identifiable student information. CUSD has an internal process to review software, services, and sites used by teachers to make sure they legally abide by federal and state laws.
Student Data protections are governed by the following federal laws:
CUSD is part of the California Student Privacy Alliance, an organization which has created a unified agreement for vendors and school districts to enter into to protect student data. CUSD uses the California Student Data Privacy Agreement.
- AB 1584 / EC 49073.1 - Privacy of Pupil Records
- CIPA - Children's Internet Protection Act
- COPPA - Children's Online Privacy Protection Act
- FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
- SOPIPA- Student Online Personal Information Protection Act
G Suite for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their G Suite for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
- Gmail (for middle schools)
- Chrome Sync
- Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
- Meet (for middle schools)
In addition, we also allow students to access certain other Google services with their G Suite for Education accounts. Specifically, your child may have access to the following “Additional Services:”
- YouTube (filtered)
- Google Maps
- Google Earth
- Google Takeout
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from G Suite for Education accounts in its G Suite for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html. You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
- What personal information does Google collect?
- How does Google use this information?
- Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
- Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
- Will Google disclose my child's personal information?
- What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
- What if I have more questions or would like to read further?