For questions/inquiries with Student Assignment, please CLICK HERE. A Student Assignment staff member will reach out to you as soon as we get to your question/inquiry in the queue.
Student Assignment is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. All registrations are being processed remotely from 8:00 am to 1:30 pm. If you would like to request an in-person registration, please notify the staff member that emails you at the beginning of the registration process.
- Student Registration
- Open Enrollment
- Change of Address
- Inter-District Transfer
- School Locator
** New students MUST be residing in the District. The student must be ready and available for assessments that may be necessary. **
** Current CUSD students with a change of address MUST be residing in their new attendance area or residence before change of address and/or school will be made. **
Proof of Residence
New residents MUST be residing in their new address/residence within the CUSD boundaries. If families are still between their previous address and new address, registration will not take place until the new address becomes the primary address. CUSD does not register students who are planning to move within the CUSD boundaries. For families that do not reside within CUSD boundaries, please refer to our Inter District Transfer tab for information about our IDT process.
One (1) document is required from List A, B and C:
- Current Original Property Tax Bill – with parent/guardian’s name, mailing address and property address. One may obtain a duplicate of their original property tax bill at the Department of Tax and Collections, 70 W. Hedding Street, East Wing, 6th floor, San Jose, 95110
- Final Buyer Statement (if purchased within last six  months) – with parent/guardian’s name and property address
- CUSD will not accept a Grant Deed as proof of residence.
- CUSD will not accept a Property Assessment mailed by the Santa Clara County Assessors Office.
- Printed fully executed lease agreement – includes signatures from both parent/guardian and manager/landlord and Manager/Landlord’s contact information
- Affidavit of residence (family living with another resident):
- An Affidavit of Parent Residence form must be signed by parent and the primary resident. The form can be obtained by submitting an Inquiry Request - a staff member will reach out to you with instructions.
- Primary resident must provide Property Tax Bill or fully executed lease agreement and photo identification
- Parent must provide two additional forms of identification with current address on it (most recent bank statement, car insurance or registration, or paycheck stub)
- Most recent PG&E bill (received within the last 30 days)
Paycheck stub or W-2 statement
*If you have just moved into your residence and items from List B and C are not yet available, staff will give your family a 30 day registration conditional to turn those items in at a later date.
Parent Photo Identification
One (1) document is required
- State issued Driver’s License or Identification Card
Proof of Age
One (1) document is required
Certificate of birth (certificates provided by the hospital are not acceptable)
Baptismal certificate duly attested
- Affidavit signed by parent, guardian or custodian of the child
Must be provided by a physician and translated into English.
Yellow card or print out from physician’s office with most recent immunization records must be presented at the time of registration. Immunization records from previous school districts will not be accepted.
- TB Test/Assessments must be done within the United States and must be completed up to 12 months prior to school registration. If coming from another school within Santa Clara County an older TB test result or assessment will be accepted and must be presented at the time of registration.
- Students entering grades 7 or 8 must have one (1) dose of Tdap (or DTP/DTaP) on or after the 7th birthday.
2023-2024 New Transitional Kindergarten through 8th Grade Student Priority Registration
** New students MUST be residing in the District. The student must be ready to start within 2-3 days and available for assessments that may be necessary. **
Kindergarten is available for children whose birthdays are between September 2, 2017, and September 1, 2018.
TK is available for children whose birthdays are between September 2, 2018, and April 2, 2019.
TK is part of a two-year Kindergarten program.
CLICK HERE for school listings and websites.
STEP 1: Gather all required documents
- Proof of residence - Current property tax bill or final's buyer's statement from your title company if you recently purchased your new home (if purchased within the last six  months) if you own your home -OR- a fully executed lease agreement if you rent. (CUSD does not accept grant deeds.)
- Parent Photo ID - either a state issued driver's license or passport is accepted
- Child's birth certificate or passport
- Child's most up-to-date immunization records
- Child's TB Risk Assessment form or negative test results - form/results must be submitted within three days of registration to receive a start date for school. CLICK HERE for the TB Risk Assessment form.
STEP 2: Submit a registration request - CLICK HERE for the form
- A Student Assignment staff member will reach out to you with further instructions.
STEP 3: Document Verification / Registration Completion
- Student Assignment staff will send instructions on how to submit registration requirements and how to complete the online registration.
2024-2025 New Transitional Kindergarten through 8th Grade Student Priority Registration
The Priority Registration Window is CLOSED. It will re-open in April 2024 and information will posted on our website at that time.
Kindergarten is available for children whose birthdays are between September 2, 2018, and September 1, 2019.
TK is available for children whose birthdays are between September 2, 2019, and June 2, 2020.
TK is part of a two-year Kindergarten program.
TK and 5th grade students currently attending CUSD for the 2023-2024 school year DO NOT need to complete 2024-2025 Priority Registration. Students will be placed in their attendance area schools during this window.
CLICK HERE for school listings and websites.
If you would like to receive updates and notifications via email regarding Priority Registration or Open Enrollment, please CLICK HERE to join our ParentSquare Community Group.
If you have any additional inquiries, please contact Student Assignment through their inquiry form: CLICK HERE. Due to a high volume of requests being processed at this time, Student Assignment will reach out to you as quickly as possible.
The waitlist closed at 4:00 pm on Thursday, November 30, 2023 - no exceptions for the 2023-2024 school year.
Parents checking living waitlist numbers will need to know their child’s six-digit perm identification number as well as the child’s six-digit birthday (mmddyy).
If your child is on a living waitlist, please know that if a space becomes available for your child, a CUSD staff member will reach out to you by InformedK12 or email.
Once a family accepts an alternative school placement for their child, the child is removed from all other waitlists and is removed from their current school of attendance.
If a family accepts a neighborhood attendance area school placement for their child, the child will remain on any alternative school living waitlist the student is on.
If a family declines an offer for their child, their child is removed from that waitlist, but not other living waitlists.
CUSD 2023-2024 Open Enrollment (OE) Waitlist FAQ’s
I applied through an Open Enrollment window, but my child is not on the waitlist. Why not?
There are a variety of reasons your child may not be on the waitlist:
The online waitlist is updated weekly on Thursday afternoons. If you just applied, it may not be reflected yet on our waitlist website.
A different attendance area school or alternative school/program was not selected when the OE form was submitted (blank submission)
The attendance area school selected was the home attendance area school, and the submission was removed (this is already your child’s assigned school)
Incorrect grade level was entered, or the school chosen does not offer the grade level selected (for example, Faria, as well as Murdock-Portal, do not have 6th-grade classes)
No tour/parent information meeting (alt school/program only) was attended. If you believe this was an error, please contact the alternative school/program office.
Your child was already on 2 different attendance area schools and/or 2 alternative school waitlists, and the submission was removed.
Your child was not re-registered for the 2023-2024 school year, and their perm ID # was not considered active for the Open Enrollment lottery
I have a lower waitlist number but have not received an offer. Why not?
All open spaces in Kindergarten are not initially offered for a variety of reasons:
If a student has an IEP, the IEP must be reviewed and/or the team must meet prior to the offer. The student’s space is not offered to another student while this process is taking place.
Some spaces are held for potential retention for the current 2022-2023 students.
Why is my child’s waitlist number not moving?
Depending on the time of year, there may be few offers available. Our first priority is to place students in their attendance area schools. During summer, we have a lot of families moving into the district which may result in less open enrollment offers while we process all the students’ registrations to their attendance area schools.
Why is my child’s waitlist number getting higher?
While families continue to apply and/or accept offers into schools, priorities may be added to student’s waitlist numbers making other student’s numbers go higher instead of lower.
When will I get an offer?
The waitlist is being monitored daily and if/when an offer can be made, a CUSD staff member will reach out to you via email. Offers can happen during the summer or after school starts through March 2024. Schools need to have adequate space to consider offers happening.
What does adequate space mean?
One opening from a student leaving does not mean that an offer will be sent to the first student on an Open Enrollment waitlist. No student currently residing within a school's attendance area shall be displaced by another student transferring from outside the attendance area. (Education Code 35160.5)
If you have any further questions, please CLICK HERE and submit an Open Enrollment Waitlist Inquiry form. Student Assignment will not be answering questions via phone calls. Due to the increased volume of inquiries coming in at this time, please allow up to five business days to receive a response. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Alternative Schools/Programs Priority Open Enrollment Window
February 1, 2024 through February 16, 2024
The Student Assignment Office can be reached Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. at (408) 252-3000 x.61-110. Please note, walk-ins are not taken at this time.
If your family is currently attending a CUSD school and needs to update an address due to a move, please CLICK HERE to submit your information via the Google form.
Your family must be fully residing within your new residence - we do not update addresses prior to the move.
A Student Assignment staff member will reach out to you once we get to your information in the queue. While you await an email, please prepare your Property Tax Bill or Final Buyers Statement (if purchased within the last six  months) if you own your home or your lease agreement if you rent along with a parent photo ID. You will be requested to send that information via PDF once contacted. If you have moved out of the district and would like to remain, our staff will work with your family if an Inter District Transfer request is possible.
What is an Inter-district Transfer?
An inter-district transfer is used when families wish to enroll their student(s) in a school district other than the one assigned to their home address. This applies to students trying to transfer into and out of the Cupertino Union School District (CUSD). All Inter-District requests must be initiated in the District of residence. Inter-District transfers are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually.
Students Living Within CUSD Boundaries Transferring to Another District
Families who live within the Cupertino Union School District boundaries may request for their student to attend a school outside of the Cupertino Union School District.
2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR: Families living with the CUSD boundaries requesting to attend another district must complete THIS FORM. Please note, if the student has an IEP, that must be attached to the Inter District Transfer request form for review.
2024-2025 SCHOOL YEAR: Families living with the CUSD boundaries requesting to attend another district must complete THIS FORM. Please note, if the student has an IEP, that must be attached to the Inter District Transfer request form for review.
Students Living Outside of the CUSD Boundaries Transferring into CUSD
Students who live outside of the Cupertino Union School District boundaries have the opportunity to request attendance to an attendance area school within the Cupertino Union School District from their new district of residence.
Inter District Transfer requests from families living outside of the CUSD boundaries will start to be reviewed for the next school year in May.
The Cupertino Union School District reserves the right to deny transfer requests or release students for the following reasons: lack of facilities either district-wide or in a requested school, attendance area or program, scholarship, citizenship, attendance, or behavior.
An approved IDT may be revoked or rescinded at a later date by CUSD if:
- there is insufficient classroom space in the requested school and/or grade level;
- there is excessive truancy, tardiness or late pick-ups;
- Students do not have satisfactory attendance, citizenship and/or scholarship;
- parent/guardian(s) provide false information in making a transfer request.
No student currently residing within a school's attendance area shall be displaced by another student transferring from outside the attendance area or by a student requesting an IDT.
Board Policy and Regulation 5117 related to the District's Inter-District Transfer process are found on Board Docs at https://go.boarddocs.com/ca/cusdk8/Board.nsf/vpublic?open.