Students Experiencing Homelessness/Foster Youth
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (McKinney-Vento Act) (42 U.S.C. § 11431-11435) is federal legislation that ensures the educational rights and protections of children and youths experiencing homelessness. It requires all local educational agencies (LEAs) to ensure that students experiencing homelessness have access to the same free, appropriate public education, including public preschools, as provided to other children and youths. The McKinney-Vento Act defines LEAs as public school districts, direct-funded and locally funded charter schools, and county offices of education. The McKinney-Vento Act also authorizes the funding for the federal Education for Homeless Children and Youths Program.
The McKinney-Vento Act defines homeless children and youths as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This definition also includes:
- Children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason.
- Children and youths who may be living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, and shelters.
- Children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings.
- Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations or similar settings, or
- Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are children who are living in similar circumstances listed above.
The Cupertino Union School District is committed to educating students who meet the guidelines under McKinney-Vento. For additional information and support with registration, please fill out this form, contact your school office, or the Student Support Services Department Secretary, Shubha Voleti at 408-252 3000 ext. 61120.
Cupertino Union School District Mc-Kinney Vento & Foster Youth Liaisons:
- Kari Ito, Student Service Director, 408-252 3000 extension 61-116
- Vanessa Licona, Engagement & Resource Specialist, 408-252 3000 extension 61-169 (for Resources)
- SCHOOL SITE McKinney Vento and Foster Youth LIAISONS