Student Responsible Use of Technology Policy
The annual notification contains this Student Responsible Use of Technology Policy. Students are asked to acknowledge this policy and the policy is also reviewed in classrooms. Here is the text of the policy:
Student Responsible Use of Technology Policy (2018-19)
I. Purpose - The Cupertino Union School District (CUSD) is committed to providing our students access to instructional technology tools. The use of technology, for the purpose of instruction, provides our students with learning opportunities that extend well beyond the walls of the classroom. For students, use of technology in the classroom is for educational purposes, such as accessing curriculum-related information, sharing resources, and promoting innovation in learning. Learning how to use technology is a vital part of creating exemplary learners with the skills to succeed in the 21st century. Unless granted permission to do so by a teacher, administrator or staff member for instructional purposes, the use of personal technology devices are not permitted during school hours.
II. Technology Safety - Precautions are taken to ensure that technology in the classroom is being used in an appropriate manner. Students are instructed in the appropriate use and are supervised while using technology for instructional purposes. Bullying, including cyberbullying, is not tolerated from either school or home and may result in disciplinary action, which may include suspension and/or recommendation for expulsion. Also, when appropriate, local law enforcement may be involved.
The school district reserves the right to access all district-owned electronic devices and the information created by those devices. The district reserves the right to access all information that is sent by or to students and district employees. The use of personal devices on school property grants consent for search by the school administrator.
III. Terms and Conditions -
- Use technology for the purpose of learning
- Communicate with others in a courteous and respectful manner
- Maintain the confidentiality of his/her personal name, address, phone number, password(s), and respect the same privacy of others
- Use only accounts provided by the school
- Save online gaming (not sanctioned by a teacher) and non-academic multimedia consumption for home, if permitted at home
- Report any incident of harassment to a supervising district employee
- Agree to the review of communications, data, and files by the Cupertino Union School District
- Comply with copyright laws and intellectual property rights of others
- Report any violation of this Responsible Use of Technology Policy to a supervising employee
- Respect the files of other students
- Follow recommended device use practices such as:
- Avoid resting devices directly on your lap - devices can generate significant heat
- Take frequent breaks when using the device for long periods of time. Look away from the screen approximately every fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Follow ergonomic best practices
Students Shall Not:
- Photograph or record students or staff members for non-instructional purposes and/or without their explicit permission
- Post or publish images and/or video captured at the school site or school-related activities on social networking sites, blogs, and other websites.
- Cyberbully students or staff members or negatively impact the learning environment through the use of technology
- Log in to another student’s account without his or her authorization
- Knowingly enter unauthorized networks or install software to tamper or destroy data
- Bypass the district’s Internet filtering measures or restrictions set on devices
- Access or distribute abusive, harassing, libelous, obscene, offensive, profane, pornographic, threatening, sexually explicit, or illegal material
- Install personal software on district devices
- Use technology for commercial, purchasing, or illegal purposes
- Use technology in any other manner that violates district policies
IV. Disclaimer - Students are instructed on the appropriate use of technology in the classroom and are supervised while using technology for the purpose of instruction. The district provides Internet filtering software to stop most unwanted material from appearing on devices accessing the district network. However, CUSD cannot guarantee that students will not access inappropriate materials on the Internet or misuse technology in the classroom and the district cannot guarantee that all undesirable websites will be filtered.
The District also denies any responsibility for the accuracy or the quality of the information obtained through user access on the Internet using the District issued device. Any statement, accessible on the Internet, is the author's individual point of view and does not reflect the views of the District, its affiliates or its employees.
V. Damage or Loss - The District specifically notes that any charges that are incurred by a user while using a District issued device will be the responsibility of the user. All District devices are covered by a combination of District warranty, District liability insurance, and repairs provided by certified District technicians. Similar to the use of District textbooks and/or musical instruments, families assume responsibility for the use of any District owned equipment/materials issued to students. This policy is pursuant to CA ED CODE 48904 (referenced below). Students must immediately report any damage or loss of the device. If a device is stolen, lost or damaged, CUSD will work with the family to determine the cost of repair or replacement.
VI. Discipline - Technology is an academic tool and is not to be abused. Inappropriate use of technology may result in restricted use of instructional technology at the school site, school disciplinary action, and/or legal action.
Student Agreement to Responsible Use Policy
I understand and will abide by the provisions and conditions of this agreement. I have reviewed this agreement with my parent/guardian and I understand that any violation of the rules described by the Cupertino Union School District may result in disciplinary and/or legal action. I also agree to report any misuse of technology at the school site to the supervising district employee.
Parent Agreement to Responsible Use Policy
As the parent or guardian of this student, I have read this agreement and understand that the Cupertino Union School District encourages the proper use of technology for the purpose of instruction. I hereby give my permission for my child to use technology for the purpose of instruction. I understand that it is difficult for the Cupertino Union School District to restrict access to all controversial materials and I will not hold the Cupertino Union School District responsible for materials acquired as a result of my student’s misuse of technology.
One of our instructional technology goals is that ALL students will participate as respectful and appropriate digital citizens in the community. Using technology in schools is a privilege and we want to empower our students to think critically, behave safely, and participate responsibly in our digital world.
Each year, K-8 students participate in digital citizenship lessons from Common Sense Media.