Report an Absence Please complete and submit this form to report an absence, or a delay of more than 30 minutes. If your child has a medical appointment, please bring a doctor's note that confirms the appointment.
All attendance policies may be reviewed in full on the CUSD website under the section titled “For Families”, or by following this link:
Below is a portion of the CUSD attendance policies:
A student’s absence shall be excused for the following reasons:
- personal illness
- health quarantine (under direction of county or city health officer)
- medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic appointment. (Please provide a doctor’s note, and/or exchange the relevant info with the school nurse or principal.)
- funeral of an immediate family member
Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and approval of the principal, a student’s absence shall also be excused for justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to:
- appearance in court
- attendance at a funeral
- observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
- attendance at religious retreats (not to exceed four hours per semester)
- to spend time with an immediate family member who is an active duty member of the military
The District does not support the practice of taking trips/vacations on school days. Absences due to family trips are unexcused unless the absence is prearranged and the school principal has approved a short-term independent study contract.
Students missing more than 30 minutes of instruction without an excuse three times during the school year are classified as a truant and reported to the proper school authority.
Truancy notification letters will be sent to families as unexcused absences are accumulated. Following notification at the sixth (6th) unexcused absence, parents will be expected to attend either a District Student Attendance Review Board (SARB) meeting or a mediation meeting with the Santa Clara County District Attorney and District staff. Failure to comply with the law and education codes (EC 48205, 48260, 48262) may result in an infraction or misdemeanor.