Welcome to the Cupertino Union Instructional Services webpage.
The overarching goal of Instructional Services is to provide meaningful and lasting support for our elementary schools, middle schools, and alternative schools. This support takes many forms, and it involves participants from within our district and from outside agencies when appropriate or required.
Instructional Services is prepared to address the needs and requirements of schools through the following:
- Curriculum & Instruction (Math, Science, English Language Arts, Social Studies, Human Growth and Development, English Language Development, Music, Art and PE)
- Pupil Services and Special Education
- Teacher Induction
- Teacher Resource Center
- Instructional Support Teachers
Instructional Services believes our work is to serve students and families, teachers and administrators and the entire CUSD community by improving learning conditions, expectations and opportunities for all.
Learner Focused Classroom
The Learner Focused Classroom
The Learner Focused Classroom is a community where ALL students experience authentic tasks that provide opportunities for collaboration, innovation and self-assessment. This model, developed in 2015, serves as a guide to help identify what we want to see in our classrooms.
The Learner Focused Classroom consists of the following:
- Opportunity for Innovation
- Students create original work for personal and group expression
- Students apply existing knowledge to generate and connect new ideas across content areas
- Students engage in discourse throughout the day using academic language with classmates and experts beyond the classroom
- Students contribute to classroom culture and school community
- Student Voice example - Project Based Learning Overview:
- Students have opportunities to engage in inquiry based learning
- Students are encouraged to decide how to share their thinking and learning
- Seesaw Overview:
- Critical Thinkers
- Students challenge and question what they see
- Students are able to justify their approach to rigorous tasks with evidence
- Problem Solvers
- Students will persevere in relevant and challenging tasks
- Students will use effective and efficient strategies to meet learning outcomes
- Students set goals and monitor their progress over time in effort to meet clear learning targets
- Students can reflect on their learning and identify next steps
- Self-Assessment example - Literably Overview: